I bought a Toyota Fortuner in April – I took it instead of the Grand Vitara, which I traveled for 10 years. I chose an automatic transmission with a gasoline engine – diesel engines are not very suitable for Siberia. After a run of 7,000 km, I can objectively assess the SUV.
Before driving the first couple of thousand km, the car clearly lacked the power of the 166-horsepower engine, the dimensions of Fortuner are not small. It is clear that the 7-seater SUV is not a racing car, but I would like more speed. After the first 5,000 km, the acceleration dynamics improved, and overtaking on the highway at a speed of 120 km / h became much better.
Review of Toyota Fortuner 2.7 (166 HP) AT 4WD 2020
Basically I use Eco-mode, I rarely turned on “Norm” – I did not feel any special changes either in the dynamics or in the work of the suspension. The SUV walks confidently along the highway, maneuvers well, the suspension is moderately stiff, but it can give a breakdown.
The logic of the automatic transmission is not clear when picking up speed – the revolutions sometimes increase gradually, as expected, and sometimes very sharply. While I am watching, I did not notice any difficulties in management even with a sharp increase in revolutions to 5,000.
On the cons of the car, I note the following:
- Breakdown of the suspension on the comb – you need to slow down strongly so as not to jump on the seat.
- The armrests should be changed to leather: the textile upholstery of the seats is very solid and comfortable, but on the doors after 1,700 km of run it has worn out and has gone stains.
- Poor equipment: you need to invest another 200 thousand in the car to get the minimum package for convenience, so the manufacturer’s price is too high.
- Poor paintwork, repainting is required.
- There are no niches in the trunk for small things.
- A frankly weak windshield – scratches quickly.
- Incorrect location of the front optics unit. Under the headlights, dirt, insects, leaves and debris are constantly stuffed into a niche.
I did not find any critical imperfections in the car, the key units work stably. I have not yet identified an excessive consumption of gasoline or oil, the brake system is excellent. What I like in the end:
- It attracts a stylish appearance, beautiful design, nice color.
- Roomy interior, enough space in the 3rd row, front seats are adjustable in 10 positions – conveniently.
- Long-travel suspension: on the road of medium scabby it goes smoothly and clearly, and in deep holes, if it flew in at speed, it punches.
- Low fuel consumption for its weight.
- Big tank.
- Quite good standard media system, gives clear sound at any volume.
- Switchable front-wheel drive.
- The main thing is that it is possible to brake with the engine, which is very useful for the Siberian winter.
- Noise isolation is not worse than in similar configurations for a solid “four”.
The overall impression of the Toyota Fortuner is not bad – I’m happy with the choice. High-quality assembly, strong chassis, good handling. I will eliminate all the shortcomings over time.